Our brains are wired for efficiency (eg, Nautilus, Quanta). They excel in quick & dirty solutions to the very many decisions that have to be taken. Given a choice between complexity versus simplicity, the brain will opt for simple solutions. This choice is in accordance with Occam's razor, a "problem-solving principle" (Wiki). Sometimes, a problem is too...
17 Nov, 2021
In 2021, I've written a lot about human stupidity (my blogs). I've been hesitant to address the How-What-When-Where-Who-Why questions. A 2021 Psyche article was very helpful: Why some of the smartest people can be so very stupid (eg, my blog). Apparently, stupidity is a blind spot in our thinking. Recently, I noticed two more related articles that have been causing...
10 Nov, 2021
We typically believe in simple perspectives: it's either day or night rather than acknowledging dawn or twilight. Things are either black or white rather than the many shades of grey in between. People are either right or wrong rather than considering subjective truths. Many - if not most - things are dualistic in our lives (eg, us/them, yes/no). If so, how can...
30 Oct, 2021
National Review title: Is Europe Wrong? Or Are We?NR subtitle: European countries aren’t vaccinating their five-year-olds, and they’re taking off the masks.By: Michael Brendan DoughertyDate: 22 October 2021 "The United States is weeks away from rolling out a COVID-19 vaccine to children as young as five. And yet, even after it is rolled...
31 May, 2021
Several years ago, I wrote my blogs Less is More (2014) and More is Better (2016). Latter was about consumerism. The former has a broader context in our vocabulary. For some time, I've saved a 2021 Scientific American article for future blog use: Our brain typically overlooks this brilliant problem-solving strategy. Many problem-solving solutions have two basic...
4 May, 2021
An April 2021 study, published in the journal Nature Genetics is entitled: "Shared heritability of human face and brain shape" (eg, Big Think, Nature). Moreover, ancient wisdom states that the eyes are the windows to a person's soul (eg, Bible Matthew 6:22-24, phrases). Clearly, there's a link between our facial structures and our character, including our...
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?
- Are viruses responsible for convergent evolution?
- The downside of solitude
- The connection that men and women are looking for
- Ic-arts bij Op1 kritisch over harde lockdown: ‘Er komen niet duizenden op ic’
- New Year’s Day
- 2021 Conceptual Framework