Reuters BreakingViews title: Divide and conquer By: Pete Sweeney Date: 29 June 2020 "Beijing may overtake the White House in the race to annoy the most trading partners at once. China has added fresh spats with India and Japan to its lengthening list of bilateral brawls. The People’s Republic may believe opponents remain too divided to push back. It’s a...
29 Jun, 2020
China is an interesting study object, in very many ways. Recently, I wondered how China fits in my concept of trialism and dualism. Actually, it does not. When you flatten a triangle, a line will emerge (ie, dualism). When you shrink that line, a dot will emerge. That dot represents monism, which "attributes oneness or singleness to a concept e.g.,...
23 Feb, 2020
The Times title: Today’s strongmen are weaker than we think The Times subtitle: The lesson of history is that dictators tend not to die in their beds Author: Niall Ferguson Date: 16 February 2020 "It is a truth almost universally acknowledged that strongmen now rule the world. The days are long gone when The Economist fawned over Angela Merkel as the “indispensable...
23 Feb, 2020
Financieel Dagblad titel: De sterke mannen van deze wereld zijn zwakker dan we denken Auteur: Niall Ferguson Datum: 16 februari 2020 "Bijna iedereen is het erover eens dat de wereld momenteel door sterke mannen wordt geregeerd. Het is lang geleden dat The Economist Angela Merkel bewierookte als de ‘onontbeerlijke Europeaan’ en dat de Financial Times haar verwelkomde...
8 Nov, 2019
I believe in climate change. The reason is very simple: climate change is the default in nature rather than its exception. Adaptation to Change, including climate change, is the only way to survival for any species. This notion was already used in Charles Darwin's 1859 book On the Origin of Species. After reading that book, Herbert Spencer coined the term...
31 Mar, 2019
Quartz title: Why Trump’s Golan Heights move should worry India and Taiwan "Donald Trump signed a proclamation today (March 25) recognizing the Golan Heights as part of Israel, overturning 50 years of US precedent and defying international law on sovereign borders. That means that the world’s most powerful military has decided to support Israel’s 1967 occupation and...
- Study challenges evolutionary theory that DNA mutations are random
- An Ancient Greek Astronomical Calculation Machine Reveals New Secrets (Scientific American)
- ‘We conclude’ or ‘I believe?’ Study finds rationality declined decades ago (Phys)
- From pandemic to endemic
- How did we get so far??
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?
- Are viruses responsible for convergent evolution?