Nowadays, people believe that cultural diversity is good and a monoculture is bad. Nevertheless, movies often show successful monocultures (eg, Margin Call, Trading Places, Wall Street, Wolf of Wall Street). In the 1983 comedy Trading Places, there is even a bet between two very rich white men that applying diversity will/will not make a...
11 Jun, 2018
My recent blog on diversity was rooted in an article by Sylvain Ephimenco, a gifted writer of Dutch newspaper Trouw. The article is about a rather fundamental change in opinion on diversity by the Dutch Scientific Council for Government Policy (WRR). The 2007 WRR diversity report focussed on identity, identification with the home country, and...
8 Jun, 2018
Diversity literally means “turned into two” and is – in that context - the opposite of university, universe or universal (Quora). Multi-versity would be a better word for describing contemporary societies. In general, diversity (or multiversity) is fine with us as long as it doesn’t bother us. This is also known as the Not In My BackYard (NIMBY)...
- Inflation Is Good for You (the Intercept)
- There is no easy escape from the global debt trap (FT)
- Democracy slipping away at record rate, intergovernmental body warns (Reuters)
- From “are you being served?” to “will you be served?”
- The law of supply and demand in hospitals
- The law of supply and demand
- Who is to blame for hospital demand exceeding supply?
- The EU Bankrolled a Rebellion That Threatens to Tear It Apart (Bloomberg)
- ‘We doen te lacherig over snurken. Het is een onderschat relatieprobleem’ (de Standaard)
- We moeten ons afvragen: wat betekent ‘2G’ voor de democratie? (NRC)
- Go with the flow
- Democrats getting undemocratic and liberals getting illiberal
- Why our egocentrism is the source of our stupidity
- Dutch PM: “What more can I do??”
- You bring out the worst in me
- What is “gain-of-function” research? (the Economist)
- Truckers warn ‘disastrous’ mandate will worsen supply chain chaos (WE)
- The 3 roads to Wisdom (2)
- Where indifference is bliss, solutions are near
- How can something be so right AND so wrong?