In my dating efforts, it's my policy to keep written communication to a minimum, and to move towards verbal communication asap (ie, phone). When verbal communication (eg, voice) is pleasant, a meeting is the next step. A meeting will show if there is actual chemistry. Recently, a Possibly Maybe sent me a slide with the 7-38-55 rule. It took me a while finding its...
8 Aug, 2018
There is little doubt that all life-forms - plants, animals and humans - communicate. There is still, however, quite a scientific debate whether animals have thoughts (eg, Aeon, my 2016 blog, Theory of mind in animals). There is also a scientific debate whether having thoughts is required for using (written) language, or the other way around...
7 Aug, 2018
Sunday evening, I watched the entire 3 hour (Dutch) interview with Louis van Gaal in VPRO Zomergasten. At a certain point, Louis van Gaal corrected his interviewer several times. She talked about the personality of soccer players, while he referred to their behaviour. Their discussion struck a nerve as I noticed a parallel with the ancient Zoroastrian concept of...
19 Jan, 2016
Last Sunday, a friend - whom I have never even met - mentioned to me that she is "beginning to understand that there can never be 2 same or similar relationship. Each is different. Or maybe it's just what I had with you that is unique". I answered her the following: Each and every relationship is different in several ways. Some you miss and most you don't. I think...
19 Mar, 2015
While sitting in the garden and enjoying the Spring sun, I can hear the animals around me. They may be able to hear us too. Would they assume that the human sounds are just random sounds without any meaning? Obviously I'm joking now as I said in one of my earlier blogs that having a mind and thoughts is exclusive to humans. Speech is within the brain, not the mind....
- Obstacles inspire to bigger thinking
- Are we wasting a good crisis?
- Humans Are Doomed to Go Extinct (Scientific American)
- Single Cells Evolve Large Multicellular Forms in Just Two Years (Quanta)
- Life Is Complicated—Literally, Astrobiologists Say (Scientific American)
- Let’s work together
- Love has no doubt
- The opposite of love is indifference, not hate
- Faith is Love, Religion is Power, Knowledge explains the difference
- Inflation Is Good for You (the Intercept)
- There is no easy escape from the global debt trap (FT)
- Democracy slipping away at record rate, intergovernmental body warns (Reuters)
- From “are you being served?” to “will you be served?”
- The law of supply and demand in hospitals
- The law of supply and demand
- Who is to blame for hospital demand exceeding supply?
- The EU Bankrolled a Rebellion That Threatens to Tear It Apart (Bloomberg)
- ‘We doen te lacherig over snurken. Het is een onderschat relatieprobleem’ (de Standaard)
- We moeten ons afvragen: wat betekent ‘2G’ voor de democratie? (NRC)
- Go with the flow