Sometimes facts can still surprise me. I really thought I knew most about human sleeping habits until I read this 2018 Big Think article. I had never ever heard or read anything about a first and second sleep which were, however, common (knowledge) for thousands of years. BBC: "By the 1920s the idea of a first and second sleep had receded entirely from our...
23 Jan, 2018
Late 2017, I wondered why December 21, being the shortest day of the year, isn't the start of a new year. Why aren't September and October the 7th and 8th month? Another remarkable date is March 31, the end of the financial year in countries like Japan. All these calendar anomalies are connected. It's another example of the decline in Common Knowledge (part 1, part...
10 Jan, 2018
With hindsight, my 7 January blog on the decline in Common Knowledge felt like an introduction to this topic. Subsequently, I realised there is an interesting link with the 4 components of human intelligence: Knowledge (known knowns), Beliefs (known unknowns), Intuition (unknown knowns), and Imagination (unknown unknowns). My diagram below outlines this...
7 Jan, 2018
I buy rather than grow food. I buy clothes and shoes rather than make or repair them. The same principle applies to drinking. I use the heating rather than stoke a fire in my fireplace. My recent attempt to use the fireplace (with auxiliaries) failed. I know that I do not know how to survive without a nearby supermarket. Hence, this blog's title: the decline in...
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?
- Are viruses responsible for convergent evolution?
- The downside of solitude
- The connection that men and women are looking for
- Ic-arts bij Op1 kritisch over harde lockdown: ‘Er komen niet duizenden op ic’
- New Year’s Day
- 2021 Conceptual Framework