As a boy, I dreamt about becoming an archeologist and write a book. It never happened. I still love ancient history though. My father owned a local barber shop annex clothing store and dreamt about one of his two boys becoming his successor. That never happened. He died at 61 and never saw his sons reach their full potential. That memory left a scar inside me. My...
16 Oct, 2021
Introduction LO: Today, the size of the US population is slightly over 330 million people. The (now retracted) New York Times article below stated that nearly 900,000 children (almost 0,3%) had been hospitalized with Covid-19, while the total number of American corona fatalities is almost 742,000 (or 0,225%), including some 500 children. Clearly, this NYT writer -...
2 Oct, 2021
NIKKEI Asia title: The new population bombNIKKEI Asia subtitle: For the first time, humanity is on the verge of long-term declineBy: KAZUO YANASE, YOHEI MATSUO, EUGENE LANG and ERI SUGIURA, Nikkei staff writersDate: 22 September 2021 "TOKYO -- For the past 200 years, a rapidly rising population has consumed the earth's resources, ruined the environment, and started...
23 Sep, 2021
Last week was a bad week for me. My health suddenly deteriorated, which scared me. My father died in 1994 at the age of almost 62. Slowly, I'm approaching his then-age. I'm eager to outlive him. My symptoms kind of reminded me of his cause of death. It has taken me about a week to recover, which felt long. Yesterday, I've had my first coffee, which still did not...
28 Jul, 2021
Leadership appears to be a largely human topic. Nevertheless, there are plenty of articles about leadership in animals (ie, amphibians, birds, fish, invertebrates, mammals, reptiles). Most articles are about mammals (eg, African elephants) and birds (eg, pigeons). Most articles claim fish have leaders (eg, Nat Geo, Phys, Science Daily) apart from one (JSTOR). I...
12 Jul, 2021
Recently, a Dutch-Flemish boy of eleven years graduated cum laude in Physics at Antwerp University. He started studying at Eindhoven University of Technology at the age of nine (Brussels Times). What does this event imply for topics like our biological clock, consciousness, epigenetics, learning vs teaching, nature vs nurture, talents, and/or the age when our brain...
- Is altruism ever without self-interest?
- Study challenges evolutionary theory that DNA mutations are random
- An Ancient Greek Astronomical Calculation Machine Reveals New Secrets (Scientific American)
- ‘We conclude’ or ‘I believe?’ Study finds rationality declined decades ago (Phys)
- From pandemic to endemic
- How did we get so far??
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?