About two months ago, Dutch philosopher René ten Bos wrote an opinion in the Dutch Financial Times: "the myth of self-responsibility". In Dutch: De mythe van de eigen verantwoordelijkheid. It's a well-written opinion. Still, its title bugged me. What's wrong with self-responsibility, if anything? A lack of taking self-responsibility often comes close to...
Authority vs Responsibility
8 Jun, 2020
One of the key areas in any function, job or role is the match between responsibility, the number of tasks that you need to perform for covering that responsibility, and the authority and means that you need to being able to fulfil your job. Quite often there is a mismatch, like inadequate authority, inadequate means, too many tasks. In...
- Inflation Is Good for You (the Intercept)
- There is no easy escape from the global debt trap (FT)
- Democracy slipping away at record rate, intergovernmental body warns (Reuters)
- From “are you being served?” to “will you be served?”
- The law of supply and demand in hospitals
- The law of supply and demand
- Who is to blame for hospital demand exceeding supply?
- The EU Bankrolled a Rebellion That Threatens to Tear It Apart (Bloomberg)
- ‘We doen te lacherig over snurken. Het is een onderschat relatieprobleem’ (de Standaard)
- We moeten ons afvragen: wat betekent ‘2G’ voor de democratie? (NRC)
- Go with the flow
- Democrats getting undemocratic and liberals getting illiberal
- Why our egocentrism is the source of our stupidity
- Dutch PM: “What more can I do??”
- You bring out the worst in me
- What is “gain-of-function” research? (the Economist)
- Truckers warn ‘disastrous’ mandate will worsen supply chain chaos (WE)
- The 3 roads to Wisdom (2)
- Where indifference is bliss, solutions are near
- How can something be so right AND so wrong?