There's an elephant in the room and we prefer not to mention its name: fear. We prefer blaming people for not willing to work after having received government support in order to survive (eg, National Review). My girlfriend is a doctor and meets people who don't dare going back to work. I'm unwilling booking a vacation flight as I fear that...
9 May, 2021
The Conversation title: Animal adoptions make no evolutionary sense, so why do they happen?By: Isabelle Catherine Winder and Vivien ShawDate: 28 April 2021"Scientists used to think that humans are special because we have larger brains than other animals. However, some experts in human evolution have suggested that it isn’t how we think that makes the...
8 May, 2021
Financial Times title: Spac share prices slump as enthusiasm wanesFinancial Times subtitle: Companies that came to market via blank-cheque deals are trading at an average of 39% down from their highsBy: Ortenca Aliaj and James Fontanella-KhanDate: 2 May 2021"Shares in businesses that went public through deals with “blank-cheque” companies have dropped by an...
7 May, 2021
Lately, I've been watching the Mentalist again on Amazon Prime Video. In many episodes, you'll hear Patrick Jane (a.k.a. Simon Baker) saying: "There's no such thing as a psychic". Still, people around him continue believing that he actually is. His denial is fruitless. This observation brings me to today's blog title: People need and want to believe.On 19...
6 May, 2021
Last weekend, I was having a late lunch / early dinner outside at a nearby restaurant. It felt good feeling the warmth of the sun on my face. I was enjoying one of my favourite dishes: vitello tonnato. Suddenly, a thought came into my mind: life is less boring (again). Probably, it makes sense: less freedom = more boredom (eg, captivity). There's an...
3 May, 2021
My new girlfriend has asked me twice already about my plans. Her question feels like one of the lines from the 2009 book and 2012 rom-com "Think like a man, act like a woman": what are your (short term & long term) goals? I’m not sure that I have any, apart from reconnecting with my daughter. Recently, I reconnected with my BFF. That leaves only one item on...
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?
- Are viruses responsible for convergent evolution?
- The downside of solitude
- The connection that men and women are looking for
- Ic-arts bij Op1 kritisch over harde lockdown: ‘Er komen niet duizenden op ic’
- New Year’s Day
- 2021 Conceptual Framework