Some time ago, I noticed a Dutch article on a 2019 book by psychologist Roy Baumeister and journalist John Tierney: The Power of Bad: How the Negativity Effect Rules Us and How We Can Rule It (publisher). The book is recommended by psychologist Martin Seligman, a guru on positive psychology (eg, my 2015 blog). In 2014, I started writing for my blog. Those short...
13 Jan, 2022
Last weekend, I asked her whether she was self-sabotaging us. She said no. I asked if she was sure about that. She started doubting but still declined. I recall that I was self-sabotaging in my past and I thought that I recognised that behaviour in her. It doesn't really matter anymore as the damage is beyond repair. In my view, self-sabotaging is a conflict between...
12 Jan, 2022
The big-small principle is my invention of many, many years ago. My principle works as follows: people who inflate their ego (eg, through arrogance) will often look petty and/or shallow in the eyes of others. Similarly, people who express humility to others, may appear impressive to those others. While the big part of my principle relates to arrogance, the small...
11 Jan, 2022
My recent blog, the connection that men and women are looking for, made me wonder about connections (eg, how, what). In my view, everything is connected; a.k.a. interconnectedness. A micro perspective may refer to the Third Law of Motion by Isaac Newton: "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction" (source). A macro perspective on interconnectedness...
China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
9 Jan, 2022
South China Morning Post title: China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummetBy: Ji SiqiDate: 30 December 2021 "[Summary of bullet points:] Ex-finance minister has said official economic indicators failed to paint accurate picture of economy, and publicly available data did not show how many firms...
7 Jan, 2022
Wednesday night, my potential significant other and I had another great conversation during which she stated: "Is there a problem??" I realised at once her words had a bearing on Thursday's blog: What exactly is the problem? I laughed out loud following her wise words. I should have realised this. My (dating) problem, if any, is time and space related: I can find...
- Study challenges evolutionary theory that DNA mutations are random
- An Ancient Greek Astronomical Calculation Machine Reveals New Secrets (Scientific American)
- ‘We conclude’ or ‘I believe?’ Study finds rationality declined decades ago (Phys)
- From pandemic to endemic
- How did we get so far??
- Stagflation versus inflation
- The positive power of negativity
- Our notion of Time
- China Makes a Risky Bet on Olympic Victory Over Covid (Bloomberg)
- Supernovae and life on Earth appear closely connected (Phys)
- Common sense, ignorance, stupidity and wisdom
- The big-small principle
- Interconnectedness (4)
- Does the end justify the means?
- China’s smallest firms failing at historic pace as 4.37 million close up shop and registrations plummet (SCMP)
- The opposite of the Greater Good theory
- Is there a problem??
- What exactly is the problem?
- Are viruses responsible for convergent evolution?